Learn how to mitigate the challenges related to PV technology and enhance the performance of solar cells and PV modules in desert climates.
The high insolation in desert regions can result in a lower cost of solar energy. While this may be a key motivation to deploying PV in desert climates, there are also several challenges related to the technology that must be considered.
In this course, you will learn what effect temperature and dust has on the solar cells and PV modules. The course looks at the cleaning methods used to reduce soiling, how to measure solar cell and PV module performance and optimize the design of the technology to enhance the energy yield. Finally, you will have the opportunity to consider how you would deploy PV technology in your specific context.
What will you learn
- How to use the data sheet of a PV module to predict its energy yield under specific conditions
- Determine how the module temperature is affected by the cell and module design
- How to optimize the configuration of monofacial and bifacial panels to reduce soiling and maximize the energy yield
- Understand the impact of the desert climate on the degradation process of PV modules
- How to apply the international standard tests for module performance and reliability assessment